On March 31, 2009 Google launched the local domain for Google Maps in Kenya, - an interactive map with many features and business listings.
- Users can add locations to their own my maps (Local celebrities have contributed (Wangari Mathai, Churchill, and Julie Gichuru)
- Content can be added to maps by individuals such as photos of place, restaurant reviews, hotel information (no. of rooms, visa card accepted) and Wikipedia entries
- Photos that have coordinates can be over-laid
Business owners can add their business locations and details
- Collaborate users can share information and invite select others to contribute on parties, events, add maps and event-related information
- Privacy information can be designated as private of public (search engine accessible)
- Local websites can embed google maps by simply by adding some code
- Mobile phone same features for kenya also accesible via Google Maps for Mobile - like search, driving directions, show traffic, favorites, and my location
- Mapmaker: Tool can be enhanced with google mapmaker
- All these are Free
Other Mapping Events
- March 31 Skunkworks Tuesday at KCCT Teleposta Towers 4th Floor, from 5.45 pm. A talk by Dennis Karanja, Regional Director EA Sybase, a mobile phone application development company.
- More developer workshops being held today @Google
- Google will also sponsor Where Camp Africa on Saturday April 4