recently in the media
Equity Bank returned to super nova status with almost 200% growth in June 2008, compared to a year before. From a pedestrian growth (at their rate) in Q1 of 8% for deposits and asset, they rebounded to 23% gains in both during the second quarter of 2008 after the Kenyan peace deal and their heavy involvement in the Safaricom IPO - redeploying funds from government securities.
March to June income grew faster for the first time in three quarters, after being evenly matched in December and March. And at 70 billion ($1.05 billion) in assets, will be 3rd largest bank in Kenya by year end (how long before they overhaul Barclays and KCB?). Also how much of a boost did NBK get from Safaricom and Barclays lose by staying on the sidelines? - Thank Kofi or Safaricom?
in my mailbox
- The Barclays Bond is looking to be a good investment for retail crowd – a Kshs. 100,000 ($1,500) investment will deliver 11.5 %% for the next 7 years. Third tranche of bond coming soon
- Following the Stanbic IPO, Uganda has a rights issue from New Vision
- Tanzania has Nicol - the National Investments Company Ltd newly listed on the Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange
- The Jinchuan Group Limited China will invest $25 million into the stalled Tiomin Kenya Limited project (purchasing 70%)
- From Indian Ocean Newsletter: Transcentury eyes a bid for Uchumi Supermarkets
- Rate hikes - four mid-size banks have hiked their base lending rates above 15%
- Diamond Trust Bank answers some common shareholder FAQ on deceased, lost, or dormant shares
- Stanbic Uganda leads the way communicating with its (31,000) shareholders – from sending annual reports by e-mail to communicating about divided payment calendars and difficulties, while inviting shareholders who have not received theirs to contact the Bank. Any Kenyan companies doing that yet?
- Vodafone to buy back under valued shares: what about Safaricom?
From the blogs
- Archer finds a faux/fan site for embattled Kenyan Transport Minister - Chirau Mwakwere
- How good is Safaricom’s bambanet service? (a review)
- A marketer’s perspective on the Coke vs. Alvaro brew war
- Nominate a company as one of Kenya’s Top 100 (D/L 31/7)
- science & technology scholarships to study in Algeria (10) and Morocco (15) for recent high school graduates.
- Graduate trainees at the Kenya Revenue Authority. Apply by 22/8 using snail mail to the senior deputy commissioner HR 48240-00100 Nairobi
- British Council - Africa knowledge transfer partnerships for (2) graduates to work at MEA Limited and Booth Extrusions d/l 8/8
- Marketing manager at East African Breweries
- Google Africa: Geographic Specialist (Temporary), HR and Communications Associate, Localisation Project Manager – Africa, Strategic Partner Development (SPD), Local Markets, Technical Support Associate, Google Applications (all Nairobi)
- I & M Bank: Cashiers/Tellers for Nairobi, Mombasa & Kisumu, Relationship Manager/Officer
- Jetlink Airlines: technicians, engineers, telesales officers, reservations officer. Apply to email@example.com by 8/8
- KCB: Contact center services manager, quality assurance & business processing manager. Apply to firstname.lastname@example.org by 8/8
- Neptune software: Lead developer, associates consultant (2), consultants (2), sales manager, and client relationship manager. Apply to Kenya@neptunesoftwareplc.om
- Executive director Media council of Kenya (D/L 8/8)
- Paynet: Sales accounts manages, system support analyst. Apply to email@example.com 1/8
- USIU: Network administrator, internal auditor, purchasing coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org 8/8